Action Alert: Mt. Vernon City Council Budget Serves Public, Nixes Mayor’s Self-Serving Budget
Mount Vernon residents are no longer stuck with the Mayor’s nightmare of a budget. The mayor’s proposal would not only raises taxes on his already overtaxed residents, but give himself a raise in the process. The council puts an end to this costly fantasy.
The City Council President and City Comptroller offered a counter-proposal. This budget would see a rise in taxes one-tenth of the mayor’s proposal.
The budget still is not passed, and public officials must hear from Mount Vernon residents about what they want to see. With a proposed increase in the city council’s budget, it is vital they know tax payers will hold everyone accountable for reckless or useless spending, not just the mayor.
Here’s what you need to know:
- The outrageous salary increases for the mayor and his office have been removed from the new proposal.
- The new proposal calls for the hiring of a city council attorney, and for the position of community outreach coordinator to be created under the city council.
- The Mount Vernon Urban Development Agency, an agency that has lost millions of taxpayer dollars, is not funded by the city.
Here’s what you can do:
- Call or email the city councilmembers and tell them what you think of the new proposed budget.
- Make your voice heard at the city council meeting. Attend the meeting, don’t sit on the sidelines!
Wednesday, December 6th, 2017
1 Roosevelt Square,
Mount Vernon, NY 10550