ACTION ALERT: STOP MT. VERNON’S POLITICAL PAYOFF BUDGET
Mount Vernon’s budget is the mayor’s dream, but the taxpayers’ nightmare. The mayor not only raises taxes on his already overtaxed residents, but also depletes the city’s reserves funds.
When it comes to making a realistic budget, Mayor Richard Thomas’ priorities are scoring political points with public employees and increasing his bank account.
It is the job of any municipality’s executive to propose a reasonable and responsible budget. Mount Vernon’s Mayor Thomas did the opposite. With proposals to increase his own salary by double digits, nearly double his office staffs’ salaries, and bring back an agency that lost $8 million, the city council needs to throw this budget out and start from scratch.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Mount Vernon residents can’t afford outrageous salary increases for the mayor and his office that are paid for through tax increases on families already overburdened by taxes.
- Unreasonable salary increases are only there to score political points. They are unrealistic for both the public employees hoping to get a raise and the taxpayers forced to foot the bill.
- Restarting the Mount Vernon Urban Development Agency without knowing what happened to the misappropriated $8 million is irresponsible. It will put Mount Vernon residents at risk of having more of their hard-earned tax dollars being lost.
Here’s what you can do:
- Call or email you city councilmember. Tell them you want a responsible budget, not one based on padding pockets and political handouts.
- Make your voice heard at the city council meeting.
Wednesday, November 8, 2017
1 Roosevelt Square,
Mount Vernon, NY 10550