ACTION ALERT: STOP SUFFOLK COUNTY’S UNLAWFUL $110 TRAFFIC TICKET FEE
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/reclaimnynow/www/www/wp-content/plugins/speakout/includes/class.petition.php on line 312
Suffolk County lawmakers are at it again. This time, they’re trying to double administrative fees on traffic tickets from $55 to $110.
It’s highway robbery with an added dose of dishonesty.
These fees violate state law and hit those who can least afford it the hardest. Piling onto the fee-asco, they force residents to pay even when they did nothing wrong. This isn’t about public safety – it’s squarely aimed at grabbing revenue to patch a broken budget it still can’t fix.
Here’s what you need to know:
- State law says that fees are only supposed to cover the cost of the service they provide. But Suffolk’s Traffic and Parking Violations Agency makes their money back from fees almost twice over.
- Adding to the abuse: drivers whose fines are excused still have to pay this administrative fee. It’s a penalty for doing nothing wrong.
- Those who are poorest are most affected by this terrible policy. It’s a “backdoor tax increase” that will hit residents with the least amount of wealth the hardest.
Here’s what you can do:
- Call and email your county legislator and tell them you oppose doubling traffic tickets.
- Make your voice heard at a public meeting of the Suffolk County Legislature:
Wednesday, September 9, 2017
William H. Rogers Legislative Building – Auditorium
725 Veterans Memorial Hwy.
Smithtown, NY 11787
- Sign our petition below to send a message to Suffolk County lawmakers that it’s time to end illegal fees.
Petition: Tell Suffolk County you stand against illegal traffic ticket fees.
Tell Suffolk to Stop Illegal Traffic Fees
Read the petition