ACTION ALERT: Stop Cortland County’s Criminally Expensive, Rushed New Jail Proposal
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/reclaimnynow/www/www/wp-content/plugins/speakout/includes/class.petition.php on line 312
Cortland County has resembled The Great Escape with overburdened residents and taxpayers leaving to find more opportunity elsewhere. But a costly new prison is not the answer. It will only worsen the affordability issues burdening residents.
Here’s why building a new jail is the wrong option for financially-strapped Cortland County:
- The project could carry as high as a $48 million price tag. Residents are already paying a lot for county government.
- Cortland County is slamming residents with higher property tax burdens to support their bad habit of spending $1,000 more per resident than surrounding counties, which has fueled a hefty $38 million debt.
- There isn’t a need for a brand new facility. The current jail was built in the ‘90s, and designed for expansion. The cost for that starts around $8 million.
Here’s what you can do about it:
- Call AND email your Legislators right now. Tell them to stop this costly new jail idea. Click here for their contact information.
- Sign the petition below, and we’ll make sure Cortland legislators hear that you don’t want an expensive new jail!